The sourcing, production, and use of cobalt in products is in the spotlight due to its toxic nature and potential harm to workers and the environment.
The Extended Minerals Reporting Template (EMRT) is a free, standardized reporting template developed by the Responsible Minerals Initiative to identify pinch points and collect due diligence information in the cobalt and mica supply chains. This is a template that was formally launched on October 20, 2021. The RMI recommends using EMRT v. 1.2 or higher for the Reporting Year.
The tool is designed in accordance with the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chain of Minerals from Conflict-affected and High Risk Areas.
The purpose of the template is to help with smelter and refinery identification as well as provide a mechanism for due diligence tracking.
Visit the Responsible Minerals Initiative website at www.responsiblemineralsinitiative.org
The following updates were made to the EMRT v. 1.2
Descriptions of the Functional Change:
- The bug and error correction process has been completed.
- The Standard Smelter List and the Smelter Reference List have been updated.
- Poll your suppliers
- Collect data from third parties
- Track and manage emails sent to suppliers
- Gather and assess smelter data
- Build a repository of EMRT data
- Train your team and supply chain
- Report as needed to customers and governments
- Comply and keep up with the changing regulation